Learn about the use of the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum's image, audio, text files, and data.
Images of the Collection
You can download image files for objects the Museum believes to be in the public domain or to which the Museum holds copyright from our website free of charge, for educational, personal, and non-commercial use in accordance with the Creative Commons license (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) and the Terms and Conditions of this website.
When the copyright to an object is known by the Museum to be held by a third party it is noted on the collection object page, so before you use an item it is important to check the status.
High resolution image files for study or scholarly publications may be requested through the Collections Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
High resolution image files for commercial use may be requested through the Bridgeman Art Library. A fee will be charged based on the proposed use and the availability of the images requested.
All requests for new photography are on hold while we work on digitizing the collection.
Audio from the Music Library
The audio files contained in our podcasts and music library are given to you under a Creative Commons license (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) which allows you to share the music with friends, family, colleagues, and anyone you think may enjoy it. By downloading the music, you agree to attribute any music you share to the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum. You may not use the music for commercial purposes or modify it, and you must keep intact all copyright notices. More about Creative Commons.
How do I give proper credit to the Gardner Museum?
How you credit the music and images from this site depends on what you do with them. If you share them with others by distributing copies, file-sharing, webcasting, and the like, you must—at a minimum—identify the file as licensed by the “Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, Boston.”
If you are posting the podcast, image, or individual work on a non-commercial website, blog, etc., you must include the text “Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, Boston” and provide a hyperlink back to the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum’s website: www.gardnermuseum.org. All users must keep the copyright notices and technical identification information in the podcast files intact. You can find more information on the Creative Commons website.
Terms and Conditions
Access to and use of the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum's image, audio, text files, and data is subject to the following terms and conditions:
- The text, images, and data on The Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum (the "Museum") Web site (the "Site") are protected by copyright and may be covered by other restrictions as well. The Museum retains all rights, including copyright, in data, images, software, documentation, text, and other information contained in these files (collectively, the "Materials"). Copyright and other proprietary rights may be held by individuals or entities other than, or in addition to, the Museum.
- The Materials are made available for limited non-commercial, educational, and personal use only, or for fair use as defined in the United States copyright laws. Users may download these files for their own use, subject to any additional terms or restrictions which may be applicable to the individual file or program. Users must, however, cite the author and source of the Materials as they would material from any printed work, and the citations should include “Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, Boston” or the URL "www.gardnermuseum.org."
- The Museum does not warrant that use of the Materials displayed on the Site will not infringe the rights of third parties not owned by or affiliated with the Museum. For example, some works may be under copyright by the artist or the artist's heirs holding rights to these works. Such works may not be used in any form; they may not be copied or downloaded without prior permission from the holder of the underlying copyright.
- Copying or redistribution in any manner for commercial use, including commercial publication, or for personal gain is strictly prohibited.
- Without limiting the foregoing, all Materials on the Site are provided "as is" without a warranty of any kind, either express or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular use, and/or non-infringement. The Museum assumes no responsibility, and shall not be liable for, any damages to, or viruses that may infect, your computer equipment or other property on account of your use of the Site or your downloading of any Materials from the Site.
- This site contains links to other sites. The Gardner Museum is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such Web sites.
- The Museum may at any time revise these Terms and Conditions by updating this posting. You are bound by any such revisions and should therefore periodically visit this page to review the then-current Terms and Conditions.