Renewing the Promise: For the Public Forever is a five-year strategic plan that reclaims the full territory of Isabella Stewart Gardner’s legacy, highlights our unwavering commitment to scholarship and our extraordinary collection, and helps us bring the Museum’s public mission into the 21st century. There are four core values of this ambitious plan: Creativity is Our Legacy; Community is Our Purpose; The Collection is Our Catalyst; Diversity, Equity and Inclusion are Our Commitments.
The plan positions the Museum to advance its impact through new investments in dynamic exhibitions and vibrant public programs, as well as an enhanced visitor experience that welcomes a broader and more diverse audience.
Since the launch of this effort in 2019, the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum has received an extraordinary $5 million challenge grant from an anonymous donor that will fully endow and permanently name the Director of Horticulture position in memory of our beloved longtime head horticulturist, Stan Kozak, and partially endow the Courtyard’s seasonal displays in perpetuity.
As this is a challenge grant, in order to secure the funds we will need to raise an additional $5 million in matching gifts by 2024—these gifts can support any area within the Museum’s endowment. Please see below for ways to help us secure these additional funds and support our bold vision for the Museum.
Ways to Support: A Comprehensive Effort
We invite you to join us in this work by considering a gift that will help us fully implement the strategic plan and ensure the continued success of the Museum’s vision and values for future generations.
- Multi-year Commitments for Annual Support
- Investments in an area of interest, such as
- Exhibition and Public Programming
- Classical and Contemporary Music
- Artist Residencies and Partnerships
- Free Days and Free Thursday Hours
- Arts Education with Boston Public Schools
- Paid Internships for College Students
- Horticulture and Landscape
- Conservation of the Collection
- Endowment Gifts
- General Endowment Support
- Fund for Exhibitions and Programs
- Several Interest-Specific Funds within the areas of
- Education and Community Engagement
- Performance and Artists' Voices
- Collection and Courtyard
- Named Staff Positions
There are many ways to support the Gardner Museum’s exciting future, and we look forward to customizing your participation to align with your philanthropic priorities and values.
Image at top: Two visitors examine objects in a cabinet in the Little Salon. Photo by Natasha Moustache.