Requests for Photographic Materials
Copyright 2011 Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum. All rights reserved.
Rights and reproductions for most of the highlights of the collection may be obtained through the Bridgeman Art Library. Requests for images that are not available through Bridgeman must be made in writing by regular mail, email, or by fax. All requests and payments of invoices should be addressed to:
Rights and Reproductions
Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum
2 Palace Road
Boston, MA 02115-5897
Fax: 617 278 5177
Terms and Conditions
Access to and use of the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum's image and text files and data on this site are subject to the following terms and conditions:
1. The text, images, and data on The Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum (the "Museum") Web site (the "Site") are protected by copyright and may be covered by other restrictions as well. The Museum retains all rights, including copyright, in data, images, software, documentation, text, and other information contained in these files (collectively, the "Materials"). Copyright and other proprietary rights may be held by individuals or entities other than, or in addition to, the Museum. The Concert podcasts are covered by a Creative Commons Music Sharing License.
2. The Materials are made available for limited non-commercial, educational, and personal use only, or for fair use as defined in the United States copyright laws. Users may download these files for their own use, subject to any additional terms or restrictions which may be applicable to the individual file or program. Users must, however, cite the author and source of the Materials as they would material from any printed work, and the citations should include the URL "www.gardnermuseum.org."
The Museum does not warrant that use of the Materials displayed on the Site will not infringe the rights of third parties not owned by or affiliated with the Museum. For example, some works may be under copyright by the artist or the artist's heirs holding rights to these works. Such works may not be used in any form; they may not be copied or downloaded without prior permission from the holder of the underlying copyright.
Copying or redistribution in any manner for commercial use, including commercial publication, or for personal gain is strictly prohibited.
"Frequently Asked Questions" below may assist you in interpreting permitted uses in these Terms and Conditions.
3. Without limiting the foregoing, all Materials on the Site are provided "as is" without a warranty of any kind, either express or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular use, and/or non-infringement. The Museum assumes no responsibility, and shall not be liable for, any damages to, or viruses that may infect, your computer equipment or other property on account of your use of the Site or your downloading of any Materials from the Site.
4. This site contains links to other sites. The Gardner Museum is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such Web sites.
5. The Museum may at any time revise these Terms and Conditions by updating this posting. You are bound by any such revisions and should therefore periodically visit this page to review the then-current Terms and Conditions.
Frequently Asked Questions
May I put unaltered images or text from the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum's Web site on a file server at my school or museum?
Yes, if there is no charge for the user and if electronic distribution is of limited term to your school or museum only. The images must remain unaltered. All of the accompanying caption information must be included without alteration, and the citation should include the URL "www.gardnermuseum.org."
May I put unaltered images or text from the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum's Web site on my personal Web site?
Yes, so long as the site takes in no advertisements and no sponsors, does not charge a fee for services, and does not offer any product or service for sale. The images must remain unaltered. All of the accompanying caption information must be included without alteration, and the citation should include the URL "www.gardnermuseum.org."
May I put images or text from the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum's web site on a CD-ROM, public domain or otherwise?
May I print selected images or text excerpts from the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum's Web site for a school report?
Yes, if it is a personal or academic work, and not for publication in any medium. The images must remain unaltered. All of the accompanying caption information must be included without alteration. You should cite the source as you would any printed work; the citation should include the URL "www.gardnermuseum.org." This type of use is encouraged; all other forms of publication are expressly prohibited.
How do I obtain permission for other forms of publication?
Anyone wishing to use the Materials from this Site for purposes other than as authorized herein must obtain prior written approval. Permission for such use is granted on a case-by-case basis at the sole discretion of the Museum. A usage fee may be charged depending on the nature of the proposed use. For works of art from the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum's collection reproduced on this site, in their entirety or as details, please search the Bridgeman Art Library http://www.bridgemanart.com. If the work is not available through Bridgeman, contact the Museum's Rights and Reproduction Department (see contact information at the top of this page). For works of art from other museums or institutions reproduced on this site, contact the institution credited in the work's caption directly.
Copyright © 2011 The Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum. All rights reserved.