The Gardner Museum offers a rich variety of programs and resources that spark in-depth experiences with works of art and present opportunities to engage with some of today’s most creative individuals.
From courtyard sketching to gallery discussions with “Ask Me” volunteers, activities encourage visitors of all ages to look carefully and respond personally to works of art. Helping audiences enjoy the Gardner in new ways, our programs building lasting connections with individuals and organizations in the Boston area.
Apply now for the Gardner Museum's Teens-Behind-the-Scenes program!
Teens-Behind-the-Scenes are a diverse group of highly motivated, energetic, and committed teens interested in learning about art and museums. They work with Education Department staff to plan, prepare, and lead art-making activities for families during special museum events. They go "behind-the-scenes" to explore careers in the museum field, learning directly from Gardner staff members. In addition, Teens-Behind-the-Scenes meet and learn from professional artists from all over the world through the Museum's Artists-in-Residence program.
- The Teens-Behind-the-Scenes has four principle goals:
- Practice leadership and teamwork skills in a professional work environment
- Explore career options by meeting staff members from different museum departments
- Build confidence working and interacting with adults, peers and families
- Learn about the inner workings of the Museum as well as the collection and special exhibitions
- Attend meetings after school on two Thursdays a month
- Prepare for and implement art making activities during free and family days at the Museum
- Support museum staff with Teen Art Lab programming one Monday per month
- Document programs and events through still photography and video
- Maintain, update and moderate teen Facebook page. Create content based on their own experiences, including regular reflective journaling and posting of documentation
- Consistently exhibit professional behavior and communication with museum staff and visitors
- $8.00 per hour
- Museum ID badge allows access to the museum and includes free admission to other participating museums
Eligibility: High School student, 11 – 12 grades
Job Duration: One – two years (depending on availability)
Time Commitment: Regular schedule requires six (6) hours a month after school during school year: one Monday and two Thursdays. Teens-Behind-the-Scenes will also be asked to work during school vacation weeks, free family days, three summer evening Neighborhood Nights programs, and other hours to be determined during the summer.
Selection for the Teens-Behind-the-Scenes program is competitive and includes an application and interview process. To apply, fill out this application, print, scan, and email to firstname.lastname@example.org, OR mail to the address included in the application.
Application deadline: Tuesday, October 8, 2013
Candidates interview: Wednesday, October 16, 2013
Margaret K. Burchenal
Esther Stiles Eastman Curator of Education and Public Programs
617 278 5123