Christina and Michelle Naughton Perform in Sunday Concert Series March 10
On Sunday, March 10, the Gardner Museum welcomes pianists Christina and Michelle Naughton to Boston for their Calderwood Hall debut. The Naughtons, twins who hail from Madison, Wisconson, will perform four-hand arrangements of Mendelssohn, Nancarrow, Schubert, Milhaud, Mozart, Brahms, and Lutoslawski.
Christina and Michelle both attended the Curtis Institute of Music in Philadelphia, and each won the prestigious Festorazzi Prize, an honor awarded to the best pianist of the year. Since 2008, the duo has performed throughout the world, making appearances at Hannover’s NDR Kleiner Sendesaal, the Bremen Music Festival, and with the Hamburg Chorus. Their Asian debut came in 2010 with the Hong Kong Philharmonic, and in the United States, the twins have performed with the Delaware, El Paso, Milwaukee, Madison, Napa Valley, New Jersey, and North Carolina symphonies. Christina and Michelle have also performed at the Kennedy Center’s Terrace Theater, the Schubert Club in St. Paul, and at Interlochen. Their performances have aired on American Public Media’s Performance Today, Chicago’s WFMT, Atlanta’s WABE, Hong Kong’s RTHK, and Philadelphia’s WHYY. Piano Duets, their first album, was released by Orfeo in fall 2012.
Encouraged by their mother, Christina and Michelle began piano at age four, and made their debut with their hometown ensemble, the Madison-based Wisconsin Symphony Orchestra, in fourth grade. Both are Steinway Artists and currently reside in New York City.
- Mendelssohn, Andante and Variationsin B flat Major, Op. 83
- Nancarrow, Sonatina for Piano
- Schubert, Allegro for Piano Four Hands in A minor D. 947/Op. 144 "Lebenssturme"
- Milhaud, Scaramouche for Two Pianos
- Mozart, Sonata for Two Pianos K. 448 in D major
- Brahms, Haydn Variations Op. 56b for Two Pianos in B flat Major
- Lutoslawski, Paganini Variations for Two Pianos
TICKETING | Includes museum admission
Adults / $27
Seniors / $24
Members / $17
Students / $12
Children ages 7-17 / $12
(Children under 7 not admitted)
HOW TO BUY TICKETS
- Online: Click the GET TICKETS button above*
- By phone: Call the Box Office at 617 278 5156, Wednesday-Monday, 10am-4pm*
- In person: Visit the Museum and purchase at the door
*Handling charges apply to these orders.
Fidelity Investments® is a premier sponsor of Music at the Gardner. Thursday evening concerts are made possible in part the Barbara Lee Program Fund. The Museum receives operating support from the Massachusetts Cultural Council. The piano is dedicated as the Alex d’Arberloff Steinway. Promotional support provided by WGBH.