Composer Portraits from Miller Theatre
Thursday, March 21, 7:00 PM
Tickets: $12-$27 | Purchase online or at 617 278 5156Get tickets
The Music of Sofia Gubaidulina,
Performed by International Contemporary Ensemble (ICE)
Sofia Gubaidulina (b. 1931) has earned her place among the great living composers. Her singular sound is characterized by a love of unusual sonorities and a deep-seated belief in the mystical properties of music. Quietly encouraged by Shostakovich to boldly pursue what the Soviet establishment perceived as the "wrong course" musically, she fled to Germany, where she cultivated her passion for the avant-garde. This program features a variety of her chamber works, written in both Moscow and Hamburg.
- Sonatina (1978), for solo flute
- Dancer On a Tightrope (1993), for violin and piano
- The Garden of Joy and Sorrow (1980), for flute, cello, and harp
- Quasi Hoquetus (1984), for bassoon, viola, and piano
- Meditation on the Bach Chorale "Vor deinem Thron tret ich hiermit" (1993), for Harpsichord and String Quartet
TICKETING | Includes museum admission
Adults / $27
Seniors / $24
Members / $17
Students / $12
Children ages 7-17 / $12
(Children under 7 not admitted)
HOW TO BUY TICKETS
- Online: Click the GET TICKETS button above*
- By phone: Call the Box Office at 617 278 5156, Wednesday-Monday, 10am-4pm*
- In person: Visit the Museum and purchase at the door
*Handling charges apply to these orders.
Gardner After Hours is supported in part by The Baupost Group. Fidelity Investments® is a premier sponsor of Music at the Gardner. Thursday evening concerts are made possible in part the Barbara Lee Program Fund. The Museum receives operating support from the Massachusetts Cultural Council. The piano is dedicated as the Alex d’Arberloff Steinway. Promotional support provided by WGBH.